Kothagudem Thermal Power Plant is an existing 1680 MW coal plant at Khamman district in Telangana, India. The Andhra Pradesh government has decided to utilise the vacant space at three existing coal plants to generate an additional 2400 MW of power. The three plants are Vijayawada Thermal Power Project, the Krishnapatnam power Project, and the Kothagudem Thermal Power Plant, each of which would add 800 MW.
A public hearing on the proposed Unit 12 was held in July 2014. Protests were also planned.According to the India MoEF website, project promoter has applied for environmental clearance in February 2015.
Project Details for Unit 12
Sponsor: Andhra Pradesh Power Generation Corporation
Location: Paloncha village, Khamman district, Telangana, India
Coordinates: 17.6092, 80.7248
Status: Unit 12: Pre-permit development
Capacity: 800 MW
Permits: Terms of reference, India MoEF, Sep 26, 2012
- Kothagudem Thermal Power Plant. Andhra Pradesh Power Generation Corporation Ltd..
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country” Government of India Ministry of Power, February 2012.
- India Central Electricity Authority Monthly Report,” India Central Electricity Authority, June 2011.
- APGenco asked to begin work on 3 projects, The Hindu Business Line, Feb 15, 2013.
- Public hearing today, The Hindu, July 25, 2014