Rajpura Thermal Power Project is a 1400 (MW) coal-fired power plant at Patiala district in Punjab, India. An additional 700 MW has been proposed.
The sponsor of the plant is the Punjab State Power Corporation, which has established Nabha Power as a special purpose vehicle for the project. Nabha Power was transferred to L&T Power Development, a wholly-owned subsidiary of engineering and construction firm L&T. IT was incorporated in September 2007 and is developing, investing, operating and maintaining grid linked Independent Power Plants, Cogeneration and Captive Power Plants on Build-Own-Operate (BOO), Build-Own-Operate-Maintain (BOOM) and Build-Lease-Operate (BLO) basis. as its wholly owned subsidiary on January, 18 2010.
Nabha Power has also signed a A memorandum of understanding (MoU) is an agreement between two (bilateral) or more (multilateral) parties. It expresses a convergence of will between the parties, indicating an intended common line of action. It is often used in cases where parties either do not imply a legal commitment or in situations where the parties cannot create a legally enforceable agreement... More (memorandum of understanding) with the Punjab government to expand the plant with an additional 700 MW to a total of 2100 MW. It received a terms of reference toward this expansion in 2011.
Capacity: Unit 1: 700 MW, Unit 2: 700 MW, Phase II, Unit 3: 700 MW
Permits and applications:
- Phase I, Units 1 & 2: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, October 3, 2008; Environmental Clearance Extension, India MoEF, Feb 5, 2014
- Phase II: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, January 13, 2011
- Thermal power plant at Rajpura” Punjab State Power Corporation website
- L&T to sell thermal power plant in Rajpura, LiveMint, Feb 27, 2014.
- Nabha Power Projects L&T Power Development, accessed March 2012.
- Their land was acquired to set-up the plant and were promised jobs Tribune News Service, January 31, 2011.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, June 2014
- L&T roped in to raise Rajpura plant capacity The Financial Express, August 2, 2010.
- Nabha Power Ltd. L&T web site