In its 2010-2011 annual report GVK stated that “during February 2011 your Company has executed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Punjab State Power Corporation Limited for implementation of 1320 MW Power Project (Phase-II), in the State of Punjab. For this purpose GVK Power (Khadur Sahib) Private Limited, a SPV has been incorporated as a step down subsidiary through GVK Energy Limited to implement the Coal based thermal power project with super-critical technology, proposed to be developed in the additional land at the existing Goindwal Sahib site in Tarn Taran District, Punjab.
In April 2014 it was reported that GVK had approached India’s NTPC to buy the Goindwal power station, as GVK has not been able to commission its newly constructed 2 x 270 MW units because it could not arrange coal from the two coal blocks allocated to it. The first unit was expected to be commissioned in August 2014.
The mass cancellation of coal blocks by supreme court made the trouble to GVK to arrange the coal to feed the new build power plant and later the Tokisud North coal block was bagged in e-auctioned by Essar Power for it’s Madhya Pradesh power project.
Location: Goindwal Sahib village, Khadur Sahib, Taran Taran district, Punjab
Coordinates: 31.3841396, 75.1465032
Status: Units 1 & 2: Construction, Units 3 & 4: Pre-permit development
Capacity: Unit 1: 270 MW, Unit 2: 270 MW, Unit 3: 660 MW, Unit 4: 660 MW
Coal Source: GVK’s Tokisud coal mine, Jharkand ( cancelled and e auctioned to Essar Power) and from the Arcelor-Mittal/GVK Seregarha coal mine ( e-auction awaited) , Jharkand, India
Permits and applications: Units 1 & 2: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, May 9, 2008; Environmental Clearance Amendment and Extension, India MoEF, February 19, 2014, Units 3 & 4: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, July 26, 2011; Environmental Impact Assessment, June, 2013
- Terms of Reference, July 26, 2011.
- Environmental Impact Assessment, June, 2013.
- Goindwal Sahib thermal plant on sale in Punjab, Indian Power Sector, April 1, 2014.
- Centre gives nod to coal linkage for Goindwal Sahib plant, Press Trust of India, July 4, 2014.
- Power supply continues to pose a challenge, The Tribune, Dec 25, 2014
- Request for qualification notice, GVK Coal (Tokisud) Company Private Limited, June 2011.
- Thermal, GVK website.
- Investor Presentation, GVK Power and Infrastructure, February 2011, page 8.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, September 2012
- 17th Annual Report 2010 – 2011, July 2011, page 12. (Pdf).
- “GVK Group to expand capacity at Goindwal Sahib Thermal Plant”, Business Standard, August 23, 2010.
- Essar Power wins Tokisud North mine, Live Mint, Feb 28, 2015.
- Goindwal Sahib Themal Power Plant, CoalSwarm coverage of India and coal.