Dumka power project is a proposed 1260 MW coal based thermal power plant promoted by CESC Ltd. a flagship power generating company of RP- Sanjiv Goenka Group, in Dumka district, Jharkhand, India
The project will be developed in two phases. Phase I comprises two units, each 300 MW. Phase II is a 660 MW unit. The project received a terms of reference on August 24, 2011. According to the company in 2011, the project will be completed in 2016.
In February 2014 CESC Limited sought another three-year extension for the plant, which was first proposed in 2005-06. The project, along with several other power and steel projects in the region, has been stalled due to villager’s protests against land acquisition. There were also delays in getting clearances and coal supply from Mahuagarhi though the coal block, allocated to the project, has been cancelled by Apex court.
In 2008 villagers protested against the arrest of Jharkhand Ulgulan Manch activists, who were opposed to the proposed plant. Two tribal men were killed in police firing, while six villagers and security personnel sustained injuries. Afterward the company shifted the proposed site from Kathikund to the Danro ( Ramgarh) area in Dumka.
Location: Danro, Punsiya, Mahadevsol, Kusubana , Ramgarh, Dumka district, Jharkhand
Coordinates: 24.51436624618847, 87.33507281549078
Status: Phase I: (Units 1 & 2) – Cancelled; Phase II: Cancelled
Capacity: 1260 MW (Phase I: 2 x 300 MW; Phase II: 1 x 660 MW)
Type: Phase I: Subcritical, Phase II: Supercritical
Projected in service: Phase I: 2016; Phase II: unknown
Coal Source: Mahuagiri coal block. ( Cancelled by Apex court )
MoEF permits: Terms of Reference, (Aug 24, 2011), Extension for one year
- 1260 MW (in 2 Phases) Thermal Power Project by CESC Ltd, Thermal MoEF News, September 6, 2011
- CESC At a glance, CESC website
- CESC seeks more time for its plant, The Telegraph, Feb 1, 2014
- Protest ire on CESC team, The Telegraph, July 23, 2011
- CESC project falls in trouble, The Telegraph, Sep 10, 2013
- CESC’s Mahuagiri block in Jharkhand may be deallocated, The Financial Express, Sep 20, 2012
- CESC thermal plant expansion plan, CESC web site
- JECL SPV for setting up power project at Dumka site, detail of the project at JECL web site