Surat Lignite power station is a 500 MW power station of Gujarat Industries in Gujarat state, India. Two additional units of 300 MW each have been proposed at the site.
Gujarat Industries added an additional third and fourth unit of a combined 250 megawatts (MW) to the power station in 2010, for use with lignite coal from a captive mine. On its web site the company states that the government of Gujarat “has consented to allot 500 MW Expansion Phase-3 also to Gujarat Industries Power Company Limited and the Site Selection, Environmental Clearance, and Engineering Activities by consultants for the same are in progress.
Sponsor: Gujarat Industries
Location: Nani Naroli Tal village, Mangrol taluk, Surat district, Gujarat
Coordinates: 21.47087, 73.1484028
- Unit 1: Operating (2000)
- Unit 2: Operating (1999)
- Unit 3: Operating (2010)
- Unit 4: Operating (2010)
- Unit 5: Pre-permit development
- Unit 6: Pre-permit development
- Unit 1: 125 MW
- Unit 2: 125 MW
- Unit 3: 125 MW
- Unit 4: 125 MW
- Unit 5: 300 MW
- Unit 6: 300 MW
Projected in service: 1999 and 2010 (existing)
Coal Source: Mangrol Mines, Vastan Mines
Permits and applications: Environmental Impact Assessment for units 5 and 6, Gujarat Industries, April 2013
- “SLPP Station-I (Unit 3 & 4),” Gujarat Industries, accessed February 2012.
- , “Company Profile”, Gujarat Industries Power Company website, accessed February 2012.
- “Expansion by addition of 2×300 MW SLPP (Station–III) Power Project (Unit 5 & 6) at Village Nani Naroli by M/s Gujarat Industries,” Minutes of the 20th EAC meeting, 28-29 August, 2014