Uchpinda power project is a proposed 1440 MW coal fired power plant promoted by RKM Powergen Private Limited at Janjgir-Champa district, Chhattisgarh, India.
In 2012 the India Central Electricity Authority listed the estimated commissioning date as 2013 for Unit 1 and 2014 for Units 2-4.
In June 2014 it was reported that India’s newly-elected government had cleared the way for several long-delayed power projects to proceed, after they were held up by issues including environmental and financing problems. Projects listed included the Uchpinda power station.
According to a 2014 ICRA investment report on the project, the delays were “due to land compensation related issues and later due to delay in securing funding for cost overruns,” as well as with problems in coal block allocation. The project cost had been revised to Rs. 8981 crore from Rs. 6654 crore, and the planned commissioning was 2015.
In September 2013 project sponsor Mudajaya Corp Bhd signed an agreement with India-based South Eastern Coalfields Ltd for the supply of coal to the power station for the next 20 years. The annual contracted quantity of coal supply was 1.69 million tonnes.
- A total of around 10,000 acres will be required from Dabhra alone. There were protests when RKM Powergen, which is setting a plant for 1,440 MW, started acquiring land in 2009. Many were arrested and at least 11 were put behind bars under the charges of attempting to murder. Local villagers say that around seven or eight of them are still in jail.
- Khileshwar Jayaswal, an advocate fighting the cases of the aggrieved, and a land loser himself, says, “Around 400 villagers, who were engaged in making stonegrinders, have gone out of job due to the land acquisition. Those who did not own the land are now left with nothing.”
Sponsor: RKM Powergen Private Limited
Parent company: Mudajaya Corp
Location: Uchpinda village, Janjgir-Champa district, Chhattisgarh
Coordinates: 21.8863997, 83.1208098
Capacity: 1440 MW (Units 1-4: 360 MW)
Projected in service: 2015
Coal Source: South Eastern Coalfields, India
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, September 2012
- “Mudajaya, India company ink 20-year coal-supply pact,” The Star Online, September 10, 2013.
- “Executive Summary: RKM Powergen Private Limited, Chapter 1 – Project Description” enviscecb.org, accessed June 2012