Bongaigaon power project is proposed by the National Thermal Power Corporation. The station would comprise three 250 MW units. Construction on the project began in May 2008 with three 250 MW units, projected to be commissioned in July 2012, November 2012, and October 2014, respectively. The project has been reported as expected to “use a mix of coal from Eastern Coalfields Ltd and from the Margherita fields in Upper Assam.” In 2013 it was reported that the three units would likely not be commissioned until 2015. The first unit began testing toward commissioning in March 2015.
Stage II: 250 MW expansion
On December 8, 2010, NTPC was issued a ToR (Terms of Reference) by the Ministry of Environment and Forestry for an additional 250 MW plant at the same location. No additional land will be required by the additional unit. The Chakrashila Wildlife Sanctuary is located 7.0 kilometers from the site. As of April 2015, NTPC has not pursued at environmental clearance for this project. It appears to be abandoned.
Location: Kumguri village, Kokrajhar taluk and district, Assam
Coordinates: 26.4443702, 90.3672051
Status: Stage I (750 MW) – Construction, Stage II (250 MW) – Cancelled
Capacity: Stage I, Unit 1: 250 MW, Stage I, Unit 2: 250 MW, Stage I, Unit 3: 250 MW, Stage II: 250 MW
Projected in service:Unit 1: 2015; Unit 2: 2016; Unit 3: 2017, Stage II: unknown
Permits and applications: Stage I, Units 1-3 Environmental Clearance, MoEF, June 7, 2007, Stage II: Terms of Reference, MoEF, December 8, 2010
- Future Capacity Additions, National Thermal Power Corporation website, accessed June 2010.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Government of India Ministry of Power
- McNally to install coal handling plant at Bongaigaon TPP, February 04, 2010.
- Local issues impact NTPC’s Rs 4,750-crore Assam project, Business Standard, Aug 5, 2013.
- Progress in Bongaigaon thermal unit, The Telegraph, March 3, 2015
- 1×250 MW for Bongaigaon PP Stage by NTPC Ltd, Thermal MoEF News, July 1, 2011
- NTPC Investor Presentation August 2014,
- BHEL commissions 250 MW unit of NTPC’s Bongaigaon power plant, Business Standard, June 23, 2015