West Godavari Super Thermal Power plant would consist of six units of 660 MW each and proposed by Yeswanth Industrial Infrastructure Projects at Visakhapatnam district, Andhra Pradesh. The land requirement is 3,248 acres. Coal will be imported from Indonesia.
In June 2013 the India Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) on Thermal and Coal mining asked the Ministry for a one-year extension of the project’s 2011 Terms of Reference (ToR). The company requested an extension of the ToR because of a stay order issued by the High Court of Andhra Pradesh on the acquisition of the land by Andhra Pradesh Industrial Infrastructure Corporation (APIIC). The farmers in the nearby village had taken legal action in regard to APIIC’s allocation of the site.
In 2014 the Expert Appraisal Committee asked sponsor Yeswanth Industrial Infrastructure Projects to submit an Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Management Plan.
- Sponsor: Yeswanth Industrial Infrastructure Projects
- Location: Vempadu, Nellipudi, Kagitha and DL Puram villages, Nakkapalli taluk, Visakhapatnam district, Andhra Pradesh
- Coordinates: 17.4096508, 82.7147877 (approx)
- Status: Pre-permit development
- Gross Capacity: 3960 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Coal Source: Indonesia
- Permits: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Mar 30, 2011.
- Yeswanth Industrial Infrastructure Projects, ibis, accessed Feb 2014.
- EAC proposes ToR extension for Yeswanth’s Andhra plant, Projects today, Jun 26, 2013.
- 3,960 mw thermal power plant in Vizag on anvil, Deccan Chronicle, November 14, 2014