Meenakshi Energy Thermal Power Project is a 300-megawatt (MW) coal plant promoted by Meenakshi Energy and GDF Suez. It was completed in 2012 and 2013 in Andhra Pradesh, India. It is listed by the Central Electricity Authority as Thamminapatnam Thermal Power Plant. Two additional phases are being planned that will bring the total size of the plant to 900 MW.
Meenakshi Energy Thermal Power Project is a 300 MW coal project built by Meenakshi Energy in Andhra Pradesh. According to the Central Electricity Authority (September 2012), the first unit of 150 MW was commissioned in September 2012 and the second unit of 150 MW was commissioned in April 2013. According to the company web site, “The first phase of the Project (300 MW) has been configured in a unique ‘part tolling-part merchant’ configuration with PTC India Limited.”
Meenakshi Energy mentions additional expansion of the project to a total of 900 MW (2 x 300 MW addition) or 1000 MW (2 x 350 MW addition). As of August 2014 the company describes the “ultimate capacity” of the project as 900 MW.
In 2013 French energy company GDF Suez spent $400 million to acquire a 74 per cent stake in Meenakshi Energy, including the Meenakshi power station.
Sponsor: Meenakshi Energy
Parent: GDF Suez (74% ownership)
Location: Thamminapatnam village, Chillakur mandal, Nellore district, Andhra Pradesh
Coordinates: 14.235278, 80.104444
Status:Phase I Unit 1: Operating,Phase I Unit 2: Operating,Phase II: Permitted,Phase III: Pre-permit development
Start date:Phase I Unit 1: commissioned September 2012, Phase I Unit 2: commissioned April 2013, Phase II: 2015,Phase III: 2016
Capacity: Phase I Unit 1: 150 MW, Phase I Unit 2: 150 MW,Phase II: 300 MW, Phase III: 300 MW (TOR for Phase III was for 1320 MW, but company has scaled back total project size to 900 MW)
Permits and applications:
- Phase I: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Oct 19, 2009
- Phase II: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Oct 19, 2009
- Phase II: Environmental clearance extension, India MoEF, Oct 9, 2013
- Phase III: Terms of reference, India MoEF, Dec 9, 2010
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, November 2013
- About Us,” Meenakshi Energy website, accessed January 2012
- “Ongoing initiatives,” Meenakshi Energy website, accessed August 2014
- “GDF to pick up 74% stake in Meenakshi Energy,” The Hindu, December 17, 2013.
- “CODs for coal based thermal power plants,” Government of India Ministry of Power Central Electricity Authority,”] Dec 24, 2014
- Environmental clearance extension, India MoEF, Oct 9, 2013